Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Never Told You You're My Hero




It has taken me some time to write this post. I went back and forth questioning its relevancy and appropriateness... as well as trusting my own ability of written expression. This site was set up with a focus on my work as a photographer, and my posts allow friends, family and supporters to stay current and connected to that work. However, I believe that who one is as an artist, is directly influenced by who one is as an person. And I believe that one’s environment is the strongest element in the shaping of one’s character.
My environment is, and has always been, one of great beauty- not only in the visual sense, but in the emotional and domestic. It is because of my family that I have built a strong sense of worth, of work ethic and of appreciation of life’s blessings. Because of how I was raised, and the examples set for me by my family, I do not mind working a 10-12 hour wedding shoot. And because of the value set on family gatherings and the significance of relationships, I can see the magnitude and beauty in quiet moments, cherished times and minute details. These are the elements that aid in my shooting.
I am blessed to live in a place that is not only picturesque and charming, but provides an amazing sense of community and compassion. These qualities have been evident to me over the years, throughout different events and phases of life, but never so close to my own heart as the past couple weeks, beginning when my grandfather passed away. It has become clear to me, now more than ever, that family is a loose term, encompassing all of those who embrace you, support you and are there through the day to day, good and bad.


2 comments:

  1. You are amazing.........thanks for such a nice and thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It's all about humanity. Let's live in peace and appreciate what (and who) is around us.

    ReplyDelete